by Walker World Trade – International Trade Management Since 1936
‘Importing’ is a word that is sometimes used to describe the design, development and prototyping of products that are imported, but is also often used as another word for ‘freight forwarding’ or ‘logistics’. In other words, a client of Walker International might ask us, “How much does it cost to import this product from China to the United States?”
Walker International provides services for activities that encompass both definitions of the words ‘importing’:
- Import Assistance for factory due diligence, product design, development and prototyping
- Importing Assistance for freight forwarding, tariff classification, Customs filing, and local delivery to our clients’ destinations
The first step toward a successful import program that involves product design, development and prototyping is finding a qualified, trustworthy, reliable, price competitive offshore supplier.
The second step of an import project for product development – after the client has accepted a prototype – is shipping the product from the offshore factory to the importer’s destination.
If a client has an alignment with a global source, Walker will provide logistics services that include submitting an RFQ to our carriers for a freight rate, submission to the client of an itemized, transparent freight cost analysis quote, and calculation of duties, taxes and local delivery of the cargo. As an additional service, Walker International can provide calculation of the landed cost of the items shipped.
Summarizing the two types of importing and import assistance:
- Factory due diligence and product development, from inception to prototyping
- Procurement assistance and production management
- Booking of cargo for ocean or air freight transport
- Management of US Customs, Homeland Security, Federal Government filings
- Tracking of shipments
- Local delivery to the client’s destination
- Calculate the landed cost: the cost upon which the client bases his selling price
Walker offers its clients a complete range of importing services, for both product / prototyping clients and for clients that need only freight forwarding and Customs services.
For 76 years we’ve been providing our clients with opportunities for global competitiveness and increased profits.
Call Us Today at (248) 644-7700
for Importing Services and Freight Forwarding